The 2024 Volkswagen ID.4 is a compact electric crossover with a spacious interior, a smooth ride, and a range of trims and features to suit different budgets and preferences. But with so many options available, how do you decide which one is right for you? This article will give you a comprehensive guide to the 2024 Volkswagen ID.4, covering its performance, design, technology, safety, and pricing. We will also compare it with some of its main competitors, such as the Ford Mustang Mach-E, the Hyundai Ioniq 5, and the Kia EV6. By the end of this article, you will have a clear idea of what the 2024 Volkswagen ID.4 can offer you and how to choose the best one for your needs.
Performance: More Power and Range for 2024
One of the most significant improvements for the 2024 Volkswagen ID.4 is the introduction of a new electric motor that boosts the power and torque of the rear-wheel drive and all-wheel drive models. The rear-wheel drive models now produce 282 horsepower and 395 pound-feet of torque, up from 201 horsepower and 229 pound-feet in the previous year. The all-wheel drive models now generate 330 horsepower and 402 pound-feet of torque, up from 295 horsepower and 339 pound-feet. This means that the 2024 Volkswagen ID.4 is faster and more responsive than before and can easily handle various road conditions.
Another 2024 Volkswagen ID.4 improvement is the increased driving range for the models with the larger 77.0-kWh battery pack. Volkswagen has not revealed the exact figures yet but claims that the range is improved by up to 10 percent. For reference, the 2023 Volkswagen ID.4 with the same battery pack had an EPA-estimated range of 275 miles for the rear-wheel drive models and 249 miles for the all-wheel drive models. The 2024 Volkswagen ID.4 also offers a smaller, 58.0-kWh battery pack, which has an EPA-estimated range of 250 miles for the rear-wheel drive models and 230 miles for the all-wheel drive models. The 2024 Volkswagen ID.4 can be charged at public DC fast-charging stations at up to 125 kW, replenishing the battery from 5 percent to 80 percent in about 38 minutes.
Design: A Modern and Practical Crossover
The 2024 Volkswagen ID.4 has a sleek and futuristic design that stands out. The front fascia features a slim grille with LED headlights and daytime running lights, while the rear has a wraparound LED taillight bar and a roof spoiler. The 2024 Volkswagen ID.4 also has various wheel options, ranging from 18-inch to 21-inch, and a choice of eight exterior colors, including Glacier White, Moonstone Gray, Blue Dusk, and King’s Red.
The 2024 Volkswagen ID.4 interior is spacious and comfortable, with plenty of headroom and legroom for five passengers. The cargo area has 30.3 cubic feet of space, which can be expanded to 64.2 cubic feet by folding the rear seats. The 2024 Volkswagen ID.4 also has a panoramic glass roof that lets in natural light and creates a sense of openness. The cabin has high-quality materials and features, such as heated front seats, dual-zone automatic climate control, ambient lighting, and wireless smartphone charging.
Technology: A New and Larger Infotainment Display
One of the most noticeable changes for the 2024 Volkswagen ID.4 is the new and larger 12.9-inch infotainment display, which replaces the 10-inch display in the previous year. The new display has a higher resolution and a more intuitive interface, which makes it easier to access and control various functions, such as navigation, audio, phone, and settings. The 2024 Volkswagen ID.4 also has a digital instrument cluster behind the steering wheel, which shows important information, such as speed, battery level, and driving mode. The 2024 Volkswagen ID.4 also has a head-up display, which projects key information, such as speed, navigation, and driver assistance alerts, onto the windshield.
The 2024 Volkswagen ID.4 is compatible with Apple CarPlay and Android Auto, which allow you to connect your smartphone and access your apps, contacts, messages, and music on the infotainment display. The 2024 Volkswagen ID.4 also has a wireless hotspot, which provides internet access for up to four devices. The 2024 Volkswagen ID.4 also has a premium sound system, which delivers crisp and clear sound quality through nine speakers and a subwoofer.
Safety: A Comprehensive Suite of Driver Assistance Features
The 2024 Volkswagen ID.4 comes with a comprehensive suite of driver assistance features, which help you stay safe and confident on the road. Some of the standard features include:
- Forward collision warning with automatic emergency braking, which warns you of a potential collision with a vehicle or a pedestrian ahead and applies the brakes if necessary.
- Blind spot monitor with rear cross-traffic alert, which warns you of vehicles in your blind spots and alerts you of approaching vehicles when you are backing out of a parking spot or a driveway.
- Lane keeping assist, which helps you stay in your lane by gently steering the wheel if you drift out of the lane markings.
- Adaptive cruise control, which maintains a set speed and distance from the vehicle in front of you and adjusts the speed according to the traffic flow.
- Travel assist, which combines adaptive cruise control and lane-keeping assist to provide semi-autonomous driving on highways and well-marked roads.
Some of the available features include:
- Park assist, which helps you park in parallel or perpendicular spaces by steering the wheel and controlling the speed.
- Park distance control, which warns you of obstacles in front or behind you when you are parking or maneuvering at low speeds.
- Area view, which provides a 360-degree view of the vehicle's surroundings on the infotainment display.
- Emergency assist, which detects if you are unresponsive and tries to wake you up by applying the brakes and sounding the horn. If you do not respond, the system will bring the vehicle to a safe stop and call for help.
Pricing: A Reasonable and Competitive Price Tag
The 2024 Volkswagen ID.4 has a reasonable and competitive price tag, considering its performance, design, technology, and safety features. The base model, the Volkswagen ID.4 Standard, starts at $41,000, while the mid-range model, called the Pro, starts at $44,000. The top-of-the-line model, called the Pro S, starts at $48,000. The all-wheel drive option adds $3,500 to the price of each model, while the larger battery pack adds $4,500. The 2024 Volkswagen ID.4 also qualifies for a federal tax credit of up to $7,500, which can lower the effective cost of the vehicle. The 2024 Volkswagen ID.4 also has a lower maintenance and operating cost than a gas-powered vehicle, as it does not require oil changes, tune-ups, or emissions tests.