If you're looking for a spacious and capable electric SUV that can handle any weather condition, you might want to check out the Kia EV9. This is the latest model from Kia's EV lineup, and it promises to deliver uncompromising driving characteristics - even in ultra-cold conditions.
How Does the Kia EV9 Perform in the Cold?
The Kia EV9 is not afraid of the cold. In fact, it thrives in it. The electric SUV has been extensively tested in some of the most extreme environments on Earth, such as Sweden's Arjeplog Proving Ground, where temperatures can drop as low as -40°F.
According to Kia, the EV9 has been designed to cope with such harsh conditions without compromising its performance, range, or comfort. Some of the features that make the EV9 a winter warrior include:
- A heat pump system that recovers waste heat from the battery and other components to warm up the cabin and improve efficiency.
- A battery pre-conditioning system that optimizes the battery temperature before driving or charging, enhancing its durability and performance.
- A dual-motor all-wheel drive system that provides optimal traction and stability on slippery roads, with a torque distribution of up to 50:50 between the front and rear axles.
- A multi-terrain mode that adapts the power delivery, braking, and suspension settings to different road surfaces, such as snow, mud, sand, or gravel.
- A vehicle-to-load (V2L) function that allows the EV9 to supply electricity to external devices or other vehicles, which can be useful in emergency situations or outdoor activities.
What Else Does the Kia EV9 Offer?
The Kia EV9 is not only a cold-weather champion but also a versatile and practical electric SUV that can meet the needs of different customers. The EV9 offers:
- A spacious and flexible interior that can accommodate up to seven passengers or a large amount of cargo, thanks to its flat floor and sliding second-row seats.
- A long-range battery that can travel up to 280 miles on a single charge (WLTP), with a fast-charging capability that can replenish 80% of the battery in just 18 minutes using a 350-kW charger.
- A powerful performance that can accelerate from 0 to 60 mph in just 5.4 seconds, thanks to its dual-motor system that delivers 577 horsepower and 546 lb-ft of torque.
- A high-tech infotainment system that features a 12.3-inch touchscreen display, a head-up display with augmented reality (AR), wireless Apple CarPlay and Android Auto compatibility, and a Harman Kardon premium sound system.
- A comprehensive safety suite that includes advanced driver assistance systems (ADAS), such as forward collision avoidance assist (FCA), blind-spot collision avoidance assist (BCA), lane following assist (LFA), highway driving assist 2 (HDA 2), remote smart parking assist (RSPA), and surround view monitor (SVM).
When Can You Get Your Hands on the Kia EV9?
The Kia EV9 is expected to go on sale in the U.S. in late 2023, with a starting price of around $55,000. The electric SUV will compete with other models in its segment, such as the Tesla Model X, the Ford Mustang Mach-E, and the Hyundai Ioniq 5.
If you're looking for a reliable and capable electric SUV that can handle any weather condition, you might want to consider the Kia EV9. This is an electric vehicle that offers uncompromising driving characteristics - even in ultra-cold conditions - as well as versatility, practicality, performance, technology, and safety.
The Kia EV9 is more than just an electric SUV. It's a winter warrior.